About Us

My photo
Deborah: I'm a published author of the Kate Carpenter Mysteries. I write, and I teach workshops and classes. I have lost 140 pounds! Arlene: I'm a PhD psychologist, working with chronic pain patients. I have lost 40 pounds. Kelly: I'm a registered dietitian who works hard to maintain my weight and fitness level with healthy diet and lots of exercise.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

The only thing to fear is fear itself ...


Deborah says:
FDR said that in 1933 and it’s still pretty topical. See, I’m not scared of anything really. Well except mice – and that’s a whole other story – go to @DebNicAuthor if you want to find out who wins, me or the mouse.

But other than that – I know no fear. I love change, new situations, new learning opportunities. Except when it comes to my routine. Then I fear change. Routine saves me. Remember, I said routine, not rut. I know I have my elliptical trainer, my yoga mat and some weights in my Condo and I have a gym across the hall. I know I have a pool a 1.6 kilometre walk away. I know if I’m busy at night, I can get up, walk to the pool, swim for 45 minutes, walk to work and have all my working out done for the day.

I know I have healthy food in my home and pantry, so that if I’m having some sort of crazy snack/hunger attack and I decide to eat – even my bad snacks aren’t going to be so bad. I know I’ve usually got about 30 healthy frozen dinners in my freezer, along with individual pre-marinated chicken, beef and pork (pre-marinated by me so I know what’s in it). I know I’ve got packages of frozen veggies, steamed rice, so I can have dinner ready in well under 30 minutes. I know I’ve got healthy canned goods and usually a sweet potato, spaghetti squash and a few other fresh vegetables floating around.

I know that no matter what comes my way – I’m ready and I can face it. And then I have to go away!!! F – E – A – R.

Yeah, there goes my routine, my pre-planning and sometimes even my good intentions (usually halfway through the second margarita). So do I decide to never go on vacation again? Don’t think so – I have this healthy new body that actually fits in an airline seat now – I’d like to use it. So I just do the best I can. Again, so much of this is insight.

For me, I know that I can’t just let it all go for a week or two – I know that in two weeks I can do a major amount of damage to my good intentions, and then it’s so hard to get back on those new/healthy/exercise brain pathways I’ve put down. So I try and stick to my plan as closely as I can. I find breakfast easy – you can get eggs or oatmeal or yogurt almost anywhere. Add some veggies (huevos rancheros anyone) or fresh fruit in the yogurt and you’re good to go. And I try and remember things like granola in any language means roasted in butter.

For lunch, I try and stick to what I would have at home as well, lots of veggies, salad, dressing on the side or at least light. Even if there’s sandwiches, have it open faced and get rid of half the bread.
Dinner can be a little harder – lots of sauces and things. But if I stick to lots of vegetables with that fish with Bernaise sauce, I’m still not doing too badly.

I always carry snacks with me – steal some cheese and fruit off that breakfast buffet – and I try and avoid the dessert tables. For me, I’d rather have an extra tropical alcoholic adventure than a so-so chocolatey dessert. It is your choice, but you have to remember you can’t have it all.

I also factor in exercise. Go for a run or brisk walk on the beach in the morning. Actually swim some laps in the pool before you belly up to the bar, horseback ride, play tennis, snorkel. There’s so much to do in these great resorts that you have no excuse not to be active every day. When I’m in a big city (ah Paris) I walk everywhere. No taxis. If I can put 15 kilometres on my feet every day, I can fit in a pastry or two.

And then I come home, I get on the scale, I assess the good and the bad and I get back into my routine IMMEDIATELY. If I want to reminisce, I look at pictures, I don’t make Bernaise sauce.

The most important thing to remember is that if you don't stick to your plan - don't hate! I try really hard to stick to it, and get better and better every time. But behavioural changes are slow, steady and require a lot of repetition. I swear that every year I gain ten pounds before I start losing again. Don't give up, get back on the horse right away and don't be so hard on yourself.

Happy holidays!

Arlene says:
I’m just back from the Mexican holiday; safe and sound and only 3lbs heavier. Pretty good for me considering the sudden addition of daily drinks like pina coladas. I managed to avoid the desserts and if there was a second plate at the buffet it was always salad. I found the biggest challenge the activity level. The warmth and sun seem to encourage slow and easy walks and simply sitting and reading is so seductive. In the past I have gained 5lbs a holiday so I’m not unhappy with this result. Next time I will do better again, because I know for me it is the activity link. So my plan is to add pool time and see if that helps. Making change is always about small steps and then building on them. No beating myself up. Plus, now I’m back I’m walking every day and enjoying the sense of energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment